Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Life Well Lived

I went to a funeral yesterday, and I was inspired! The seventy-two-year-old wife, mother and grandmother was eulogized as a stilleto-wearing, convertible Mercedes driving, Saks Fifth Avenue shopping, world traveler who didn't care what people thought about her. She had many friends, and I expect just as many who wondered about her choices, her priorities. Probably because she broke from the mold to which they had relegated her. She was from a small town, moved to the north. I learned she worked in a care-giving related field, but had the kind of sense that allowed her to make much from little. She had the know-how to stretch her income (which was not large) to accommodate trips to Paris, Greece, Africa, England, India, and Caribbean Islands. She had the confidence to do all this traveling while her land-bound husband bowed out of these excursions. She followed her dream to see the world.

Of course her sons and grandchildren shed plenty of tears, but the funeral was so generally upbeat that it didn't elicit very many tears. Probably because it was so clear that she'd thoroughly enjoyed her journey. I was THRILLED! I don't want the life she had because if I never fly again, or never own a mink, I'll still die happy. But I want her courage to know who the hell I am, and live the way I want to live, and not give much of a damn about who wonders why I do the things I do. Hats off to you Bessie Williams-- a courageous woman who knew how to live her own life... in spite of.....

1 comment:

  1. That is a life well lived and it sounds as if discovered her purpose along the way.
    Tr

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? I look forward to hearing from you.