About Me

My photo

Thanks for checking in. We all know life can be EXTREMELY complicated. I blog about recognizing and removing the barriers that sabotage our living well. 

- Nobody had perfect parents, so we all have issues.
- We struggle to keep up with work, personal goals, staying healthy, and all kinds of relationships.
- Our minds are busy, and they seem to often work against us.
- At the end of many days, we're disappointed about what didn't get done, how we failed, what we should have done.

So I blog about increasing personal awareness and finding balance so we can cut ourselves some slack. Let's stay grounded as we move forward in manageable steps. Perspective is everything, and I try to see around the corners so we can leverage what we've already got into more of what we want.

Follow me and give me feedback. You inspire me, and I'll try to inspire you. 

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Comfort Zone

"Happiness begins at the end of my comfort zone." (anonymous, quoted by Stephanie McIntyre)

That line says it all. What does a comfort zone bring? More of the same. Getting out of it is like starting to exercise... there may be a bit of resistance, maybe a little pain, discomfort. Or it can be like speaking a new language... awkward, a feeling of stupidity, stumbling around in intimidating territory. I hate to do it, but I'll state the obvious: The only way to really live is to adopt a spirit of adventure-- even if they're tiny adventures, like:
  •         having dinner alone in a restaurant and ordering a glass of wine (or even two glasses of wine)
  •        driving down a highway just because you want to know where it leads
  •        buying a ticket even if you're the only one who wants to go
  •        talking to different people at work
  •        hiring somebody to do things you dread, so you have time for the things you love

The list can go on and on. Make a list of things that can stretch you beyond the familiar, and into the realm of who you actually imagine yourself to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Feedback inspires me!