About Me

My photo

Thanks for checking in. We all know life can be EXTREMELY complicated. I blog about recognizing and removing the barriers that sabotage our living well. 

- Nobody had perfect parents, so we all have issues.
- We struggle to keep up with work, personal goals, staying healthy, and all kinds of relationships.
- Our minds are busy, and they seem to often work against us.
- At the end of many days, we're disappointed about what didn't get done, how we failed, what we should have done.

So I blog about increasing personal awareness and finding balance so we can cut ourselves some slack. Let's stay grounded as we move forward in manageable steps. Perspective is everything, and I try to see around the corners so we can leverage what we've already got into more of what we want.

Follow me and give me feedback. You inspire me, and I'll try to inspire you. 

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Right to One's Opinion

"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still." attributed to Dale Carnegie, et. al.

Debating and justifying were two of my favorite pasttimes for decades. Friends, cousins, and I would belabor a topic with heels dug firmly and deeply into a particular point of view. We were hoarse with righteous indignation, shouting until the sun rose. It was rare that anyone changed perspectives-- although some conceded because they were simply worn out.

Slowly it dawned on me that each person simply walks in his or her own shoes, so there is little value in convincing another to see and believe as I do. The need to make another understand my point has more to do with my need for security-- for confirmation that I am right. But right is relative, and so is wrong. Mistakes, learning, and growing make up our respective journeys; and the journey is life.

I'm now testing the validity of my own assumptions and actions. I'm trying my best to leave others to do as they please. Amazingly, as I let others have their own opinions without my interference, I feel freer. When I acknowledge each person's rights, I am more aware of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Feedback inspires me!